FIU Law Registrar
FIU Law’s Registrar’s Office is responsible for the academic schedule of classes, registration, enrollment and degree verification, room reservation, scheduling and administration of examinations, bar certification, academic policies, degree audits, transcripts, change of address and grade processing.
Fall 2021 Registrar Resources
The provisions in the J.D. Handbook were promulgated and codified by FIU Law in August 2003, and have been revised thereafter, with the most recent revisions effective Fall 2021.
Students should read these regulations carefully; all students are presumed to have full knowledge of their contents. The subjects covered include:
- RESIDENCY AND GENERAL ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS
- SPECIFIC COURSE AND ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS
- STANDARDS FOR GRADING AND GRANTING CREDIT
- STANDARDS FOR CONTINUATION AND GRADUATION
- CREDIT FOR WORK AT OTHER COLLEGES AND LAW SCHOOLS
- CREDIT FOR NON CLASSROOM WORK
- LEAVES OF ABSENCE AND WITHDRAWAL
- GRADE NORMALIZATION POLICY (CURVE)
A downloadable version is available here.
Records & Forms
- Independent Study Form
- Residency Reclassification Guidelines & Form
- Transfer Student Registration
- Visiting Student Application
- Visiting Student Registration
- Student Petition Form: The Student Petition Form is used to request transfer from the part-time program to the full-time program (and vice-versa), withdrawal from a course, leave of absence, withdrawal from the university, and to request several other important matters that require the approval of the Dean. The Student Petition Form can be found in your student portal on my.fiu.edu.When you log on to my.fiu.edu, follow these steps:>Student Tools>Eforms>College of Law Registrar>Student Petition FormFollow the instructions on the Student Petition Form and return the form to the Registrar’s Office.
LL.M. Academic Policies
Click here to visit the LL.M. academic policies.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
Click here to visit the FERPA page.
Students attending a law school accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) may apply to visit FIU Law.
Academic Admissions Statement and Resume
Visitor applicants must complete the Visiting Student Application and should submit this with a statement indicating the reasons for wanting to attend the FIU Law. Students must focus on the law school academic experience. In addition, all applicants are required to submit a resume.
Character and Fitness and the Need for Full Disclosure
Section B (1) of the application, Character and Fitness Information, requires candidates to report any disciplinary actions taken against them at any college or university and/or academic probation and suspension. Questions B (2) and (3) are about specific violations of law. Applicants answering “yes” to any question must provide a detailed explanation for each response and provide official documentation from the college/university or court, documenting the final disposition of each occurrence. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide all documentation for “yes” responses.
Admission to FIU Law is contingent on the accuracy of information required to be furnished as part of the application process. Intentional failure to furnish required information or misrepresentation of such information can result in the withdrawal of an offer of admission prior to matriculation, dismissal from FIU Law after matriculation, and/or forfeiture of all fees and charges paid and academic credit earned. Any such failure to disclose or any misrepresentation may affect admission to a state bar.
Visitor Applicants must respond completely and accurately to all questions on the law school application.
Visiting students should be aware that in conducting character and fitness investigations, state bar authorities frequently request copies of candidates’ applications for admission to law school to determine if the information is accurate and demonstrates full disclosure. Discrepancies and/or omissions may call into question the applicant’s fitness for admission to a state bar, since they reflect on the applicant’s character and ability to follow directions, trustworthiness, honesty, and reliability.
Click here to view the course catalog.