Friday, May 26, 2017 • 10:00 a.m.
Watch the ceremony live – http://webcast.fiu.edu/
- Pay and pick up your Regalia during the Commencement Fair on April 12. Make sure your regalia packet contains the tassel; sometimes they slip out during packaging. Make sure your regalia properly fits you before the day of the event.
- Complete your employment survey by visiting the Career Services Office (RDB 1055) or online through Symplicity (Select the NALP tab).
- Order your graduation tickets online between 3/20 and 4/20, 2017.
- Order graduation announcements through the Herff-Jones website.
- If you rented a locker and plan to study for the bar examination at FIU Law, you may keep it until August 10, 2017. If items are not removed by this date, everything will be disposed of. If you had a personal lock on your locker, please remove it upon emptying it out.
- Should you or any guests need special assistance at Commencement please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that upon entering the FIU Arena, persons requesting assistance must identify themselves to an usher so an escort can take them to the reserved seating area.
- For guests who are deaf or hard of hearing, a sign language interpreter will be available during Commencement. If you wish to sit near the interpreter at the ceremony, contact email@example.com.
Things to know before the Commencement Ceremony
- Graduates must bring their cap, gown, and tassel to commencement. You may come dressed in your regalia, or you may put on your robe in the candidates’ assembly and robing area. You may want to steam or iron your gown before the commencement ceremony, as it will be creased and wrinkled from being in the packaging.
- FIU Law issues honor cords for graduates who earn the academic honors of cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude as well as for military veterans and for the following student activities: Law Review, SBA elected board members who served during their third year, Moot Court Team, Trial Team, Negotiation Team, and International Commercial Arbitration Team. The honor cords, veteran, and student-activity cords will be provided in the candidates’ assembly and robing area in RDB before commencement begins. Honor cords for the valedictorians and salutatorians will be provided during the commencement ceremony at the FIU Arena.
- Your doctoral hoods will be provided to you and placed on you on stage at the Commencement Ceremony.
- Do not bring any valuables that you cannot carry with you to the Commencement Ceremony, including purses, cameras, and computers. You cannot leave any items in the candidates’ robing and assembly area, and you cannot carry anything into the Commencement Ceremony. If you have a locker, you may store items in your locker, and may retrieve them after the Commencement Ceremony. If you have supplies that you must carry with you to the Commencement Ceremony, please contact the Office of Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
- Arrange for a location on the FIU Arena plaza to meet your guests after the Commencement Ceremony.
Commencement Ceremony Day, May 26, 2017
8:00 a.m. Graduates must report to the candidates’ assembly and robing area on the first floor of the College of Law outside the Large Courtroom (RDB 1000).
All cording and medals will be presented in the candidates’ assembly and robing area at this time. A celebratory toast will take place in the candidates’ assembly and robing area before the Commencement Ceremony starts, and light breakfast items and refreshments will also be provided. RDB will be open only to graduates, faculty, and staff of FIU Law; all guests must report to the FIU Arena, identified on linked map as “ARE.”
9:00 a.m. FIU Arena doors open for guests. All guests, including children and infants, must present printed tickets at the door, or they will be denied admission to the Commencement Ceremony. Tickets presented on a smart phone, tablet, or computer screen will not be accepted. There will not be any means by which to print the tickets at FIU Arena. You may purchase additional Commencement Ceremony tickets at the door for $7 each.9:45 a.m. Graduates line up at RDB for processional.
10:00 a.m. Commencement Ceremony begins.
12:00 p.m. Commencement Ceremony ends.
Graduates’ Departure Procedures
- Immediately following the Ceremony, all graduates and guests will be escorted out of the FIU Arena and onto the FIU Arena Plaza.
- FIU Law will provide professional photographers to take photographs of graduates and guests at the FIU Arena Plaza (weather permitting) immediately following the Commencement Ceremony. These photographs will be provided in an open-access format free of charge to graduates. You will receive an email when these photographs are uploaded and ready to view.
- You will receive a copy of the graduate composite picture in your diploma cover.
- Graduates participating in the Commencement Ceremony will receive a ceremonial certificate in lieu of an actual diploma. Approximately three months after the Commencement Ceremony, the Registrar’s Office will mail your diploma to your home address, as provided on Panthersoft. If you indicated on your graduation application that you would like to pick up your diploma, you will receive an email from the Registrar’s Office when it is ready. If you have a financial hold on your account, the Registrar’s Office will release your diploma after you clear the hold.
- The Online Commencement Ceremony ticket portal will open on March 20, 2017.
- All Graduates will receive two (2) complimentary tickets and can purchase up to eleven (11) additional tickets at $7.00 each.
- All guests (including children of any age) must present a ticket to enter the FIU Arena. Doors open at 9 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please follow these instructions to purchase your tickets:
- Log in to my.fiu.edu with your Panther ID and password.
- Once you are logged to the Student Center, search for the “Academics” section.
- Under “Academics,” look for the drop down menu that says “Other Academics.”
- Select your Academic program: Law Juris Doctor, Law LL.M., or J.M.
- Follow the directions on the screen to complete your order.
Wednesday, April 12, 2017 · noon – 7 p.m.
FIU Law – Rafael Diaz-Balart Hall – Student Lounge
- Pick up your graduation regalia – cost $129.99 + tax.
Regalia includes: tam, gown, hood and tassel. Hoods will be given to you at Commencement.
- FREE studio picture with regalia, courtesy of GradImages.®
- Graduation ring and announcement orders from Herff Jones Inc.
- FIU Law memorabilia and diploma frames available for purchase.
- Photo Booth with graduation and other props to take fun shots with your peers and/or professors.
- Class Gift
- Alumni Association Gift