Friday, May 25, 2018 • 10:00 a.m.
FIU Ocean Bank Convention Center (FIU Arena)
Watch the ceremony live – http://webcast.fiu.edu/
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 · 12:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
FIU Law – Rafael Diaz-Balart Hall – Student Lounge
- Pay for and pick up your graduation The J.D. regalia price is $129.99 + tax; The LL.M. regalia price is $89.99 + tax.
Regalia includes: tam, gown, hood and tassel. Hoods will be given to you at Commencement.
- Sit for a FREE studio picture with regalia, courtesy of GradImages.®
- Order graduation rings and announcements from Herff Jones Inc.
- Purchase FIU Law memorabilia and diploma frames.
- Enjoy a photo booth.
- Contribute to the Class of 2018.
- Enjoy refreshments.
- Pay for and pick up your regalia during the Commencement Fair on April 17. Make sure your regalia packet contains the tassel; sometimes they slip out during packaging. Make sure your regalia properly fits you before the day of the event.
- Complete your employment survey by visiting the Career Services Office (RDB 1055) or online through Symplicity (Select the NALP tab).
- Order your graduation tickets online from April 2 – April 30, 2018
- Order graduation announcements through the Herff-Jones website.
- If you rented a locker and plan to study for the bar examination at FIU Law, you may keep it until August 10, 2018. If items are not removed by that date, everything will be disposed of.
- Should you or any guests need special assistance at Commencement please email email@example.com. Please note that upon entering the FIU Arena, persons requesting assistance must identify themselves to an usher so an escort can take them to the reserved seating area.
- For guests who are deaf or hard of hearing, a sign language interpreter will be available during Commencement. If you wish to sit near the interpreter at the ceremony, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to know before the Commencement Ceremony
- Graduates must bring their cap, gown, and tassel to commencement. You may come dressed in your regalia, or you may put on your robe in the candidates’ assembly and robing area. You may want to steam or iron your gown before the commencement ceremony, as it will be creased and wrinkled from being in the packaging.
- FIU Law issues honor cords for graduates who earn the academic honors of cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude as well as for military veterans and for the following student activities only: Law Review, SBA elected board members, Moot Court Team, Trial Team, Negotiation Team, and International Commercial Arbitration Team. The honor cords, veteran, and student-activity cords will be provided at the pre-commencement reception on May 18, 2018. Honor cords for the valedictorians and salutatorians will be provided during the commencement ceremony at the FIU Arena. FIU Law will not issue any other honor cords for any other activities or organizations, and will not consider any request for new honor cords. Graduates may only wear honor cords and medals issued by FIU Law. You will be asked to remove any unauthorized item worn outside your robe.
- Your doctoral hoods will be provided to you and placed on you on stage at the Commencement Ceremony.
- Do not bring any valuables that you cannot carry with you to the Commencement Ceremony, including purses, cameras, and computers. You cannot leave any items in the candidates’ robing and assembly area, and you cannot carry anything into the Commencement Ceremony. If you have a locker, you may store items in your locker, and may retrieve them after the Commencement Ceremony. If you have supplies that you must carry with you to the Commencement Ceremony, please contact the Office of Student Services at email@example.com so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
- Arrange for a location on the FIU Arena plaza to meet your guests after the Commencement Ceremony.
Commencement Ceremony Day, May 25, 2018
8:30 a.m. Graduates must report to the candidates’ assembly and robing area on the first floor of the College of Law outside the Large Courtroom (RDB 1000).
9:00 a.m. FIU Arena doors open for guests. All guests, including children and infants, must present printed tickets at the door, or they will be denied admission to the Commencement Ceremony. Tickets presented on a smart phone, tablet, or computer screen will not be accepted. There will not be any means by which to print the tickets at FIU Arena. You may purchase additional Commencement Ceremony tickets at the door for $7 each.
9:45 a.m. Graduates line up in RDB for processional.
10:00 a.m. Commencement Ceremony begins.
12:00 p.m. Commencement Ceremony ends.
Graduates’ Departure Procedures
- Immediately following the Commencement Ceremony, all graduates and guests will be escorted out of the FIU Arena and onto the FIU Arena Plaza.
- FIU Law will provide professional photographers to take photographs of graduates and guests at the FIU Arena Plaza (weather permitting) immediately following the Commencement Ceremony. These photographs will be provided in an open-access format free of charge to graduates. You will receive an email when these photographs are ready to view.
- A photo booth will also be available to take pictures with family, friends and peers.
- You will receive a copy of the graduate composite picture in your diploma cover.
- Graduates participating in the Commencement Ceremony will receive a ceremonial certificate in lieu of an actual diploma. Approximately three months after the Commencement Ceremony, your diploma will be mailed to your home address, as provided by you on Panthersoft. If you have a financial hold on your account, the Registrar’s Office will release your diploma after you clear the hold.
- The Online Commencement Ceremony ticket portal will open on April 2, 2018.
- All Graduates will receive two (2) complimentary tickets and can purchase up to eleven (11) additional tickets at $7.00 each.
- All guests (including children of any age) must present a paper ticket to enter the FIU Arena. Doors open at 9:00 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please follow these instructions to purchase your tickets:
- Log into MyFIU
- On the Student Center panel of your MyFIU dashboard, find Academics and select the drop down menu titled other academic…
- In the drop down menu, click on Commencement Ordering, click on the arrows to the side
- Select your major/degree
- Confirm that you will attend your commencement ceremony
- Continue following the on-screen prompts
- Pay for any additional tickets with a debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover)
- On your registration/order confirmation page click Print to download your electronic guest tickets
- Print your tickets later or reprint a lost/damaged ticket by following the same instructions above and clicking Commencement Print Tickets instead of Commencement Order (tickets will be accessible until the day of the ceremony)
- Email the ticket as a PDF to your guests if you can’t give them their printed ticket in person