Friday, May 25, 2018 • 10:00 a.m.
FIU Ocean Bank Convention Center (FIU Arena)
Watch the ceremony live – http://webcast.fiu.edu/
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 · 12:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
FIU Law – Rafael Diaz-Balart Hall – Student Lounge
- Pay for and pick up your graduation The J.D. regalia price is $129.99 + tax; The LL.M. regalia price is $89.99 + tax.
Regalia includes: tam, gown, hood and tassel. Hoods will be given to you at Commencement.
- Sit for a FREE studio picture with regalia, courtesy of GradImages.®
- Order graduation rings and announcements from Herff Jones Inc.
- Purchase FIU Law memorabilia and diploma frames.
- Enjoy a photo booth.
- Contribute to the Class of 2018.
- Enjoy refreshments.
- Pay for and pick up your regalia during the Commencement Fair on April 17. Make sure your regalia packet contains the tassel; sometimes they slip out during packaging. Make sure your regalia properly fits you before the day of the event.
- Complete your employment survey by visiting the Career Services Office (RDB 1055) or online through Symplicity (Select the NALP tab).
- Order your graduation tickets online from April 2 – April 30, 2018
- Order graduation announcements through the Herff-Jones website.
- If you rented a locker and plan to study for the bar examination at FIU Law, you may keep it until August 10, 2018. If items are not removed by that date, everything will be disposed of.
- Should you or any guests need special assistance at Commencement please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that upon entering the FIU Arena, persons requesting assistance must identify themselves to an usher so an escort can take them to the reserved seating area.
- For guests who are deaf or hard of hearing, a sign language interpreter will be available during Commencement. If you wish to sit near the interpreter at the ceremony, contact email@example.com.
Commencement Ceremony Procedures
All graduates must report to the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) at 8:30 a.m. Due to the bad-weather forecasts, graduates should NOT report to RDB, as previously directed.
All graduates must enter the Arena in Gate 4, which is located in the northwest side of the Arena. You will go through full security when you enter the Arena.
After entering the Arena, please go upstairs and report to the Candidates’ Robing Room (Room 220).
All graduates park in the Panther Garage.
Things to know/do before the Commencement Ceremony
What to bring:
- Graduates must bring their cap, gown, and tassel to the Commencement Ceremony. You may come dressed in your regalia, or you may put on your robe in the Candidates’ Robing Room. You may want to steam or iron your robe before the Commencement Ceremony, as it will be creased and wrinkled from being in the packaging.
- If you receive Pro Bono medals or honor cords at the Pre-Commencement Awards Ceremony, please bring them with you to Commencement. Other than those FIU-issued honor cords and FIU-issued Pro Bono medals, you cannot wear anything on the outside of your robes. If you will not be at the Pre-Commencement Awards Ceremony to pick up your cords and medals, please see Zoraya Ledesma in the Candidates’ Robing Room on Commencement day; she will provide you with the appropriate cords and medals. If you are receiving a Pro Bono medal or honor cord you should have already received an email from Associate Dean Ortega Fridman; if you expected to receive a Pro Bono medal or honor cord and did not receive an email, please contact Zory Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org
What we will provide you at the Commencement Ceremony:
- J.D. graduates: your doctoral hoods will be provided to you and placed on you on stage at the Commencement Ceremony.
- LL.M. graduates: your master’s hoods will be on your chairs in the Candidates’ Robing Room.
What not to bring to the Commencement Ceremony:
- Do not bring any weapons or valuables, including purses, cameras, and computers. You may bring items that fit in your pockets under your robe. You cannot leave any items in the Candidates’ Robing Room, and you cannot carry anything into the Commencement Ceremony in your hands. If you have supplies—like medicine—that you must carry with you to the Commencement Ceremony, please contact Zory Hernandez at email@example.com so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
- Other than cords and medals provided by FIU Law, you may not wear anything on the outside of your robe; you will be asked to remove any unauthorized items.
Designate a meeting point with your guests
- After the Commencement Ceremony, there will be almost 2,000 people on the Arena plaza and it will be quite difficult to find your guests. Please make sure that you designate a meeting point ahead of time so that you can find your guests after the Commencement Ceremony.
Commencement Ceremony Day, Friday, May 25, 2018
Graduates’ Arrival Procedures
8:30 a.m. Graduates report to the Candidates’ Robing Room in the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) Room 220.
Light breakfast items and refreshments will be provided in the Candidates’ Robing Room.
The Candidates’ Robing Room will be open only to graduates; all guests must report to the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) main plaza on the east side of the building.
9:00 a.m. Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) doors open for guests. Guests may park in the Panther Garage.
All guests, including children and infants, must present printed paper tickets at the door, or they will be denied admission to the Commencement Ceremony.
Ushers will only accept printed paper tickets; tickets presented on a smart phone, tablet, or computer screen will not be accepted. There will not be any means by which to print the tickets at the Arena.
Guests may purchase additional Commencement Ceremony tickets at the door (subject to availability).
9:30 a.m. Graduates line up for processional.
10:00 a.m. Commencement Ceremony begins.
12:00 p.m. Commencement Ceremony ends.
Graduates’ Departure Procedures
- Immediately following the Ceremony, all graduates and guests will be escorted out of the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) and onto the Main Plaza.
- FIU Law will provide professional photographers to take photographs of graduates and guests at the Main Plaza (weather permitting) immediately following the Commencement Ceremony. These photographs will be provided in an open-access format free of charge to graduates. You will receive an email when these photographs are uploaded and ready to view.
- Graduates participating in the Commencement Ceremony will receive a ceremonial certificate in lieu of an actual diploma. Approximately three months after the Commencement Ceremony, the Registrar’s Office will mail your diploma to your home address, as provided on Panthersoft. If you indicated on your graduation application that you would like to pick up your diploma, you will receive an email from the Registrar’s Office when it is ready. If you have a financial hold on your account, the Registrar’s Office will release your diploma after you clear the hold.
- The Online Commencement Ceremony ticket portal will open on April 2, 2018.
- All Graduates will receive two (2) complimentary tickets and can purchase up to eleven (11) additional tickets at $7.00 each.
- All guests (including children of any age) must present a paper ticket to enter the FIU Arena. Doors open at 9:00 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please follow these instructions to purchase your tickets:
- Log into MyFIU
- On the Student Center panel of your MyFIU dashboard, find Academics and select the drop down menu titled other academic…
- In the drop down menu, click on Commencement Ordering, click on the arrows to the side
- Select your major/degree
- Confirm that you will attend your commencement ceremony
- Continue following the on-screen prompts
- Pay for any additional tickets with a debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover)
- On your registration/order confirmation page click Print to download your electronic guest tickets
- Print your tickets later or reprint a lost/damaged ticket by following the same instructions above and clicking Commencement Print Tickets instead of Commencement Order (tickets will be accessible until the day of the ceremony)
- Email the ticket as a PDF to your guests if you can’t give them their printed ticket in person