2021 Commencement Events
May 11, 2021, 7:00 p.m. Virtual Awards Ceremony
Location: Zoom; ID 99316934184; Passcode: Uncu51
Graduates and their guests are invited to a virtual awards ceremony honoring the Class of 2021.
Graduates will be recognized in the following areas:
Pro Bono Service
Individual Excellence Awards
(cum laude honors; salutatorians; valedictorians)
Graduates will receive an email the week before the ceremony to let them know if they will be recognized at the ceremony.
May 12, 2021, 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Cords and Medals Distribution
Location: RDB Lobby outside Admissions/Office of Student Services/Student Kitchen
Graduates are invited to stop by the lobby outside the Office of Student Services to receive honor cords and medals they have earned, which they can wear to the College of Law commencement ceremonies the following week.
SBA is also giving away FIU Law facemasks, which they encourage all graduates to wear at the commencement ceremonies, and some other surprises for the graduates.
If a graduate cannot make it to this event, they will be able to pick up their cords and medals immediately before their commencement ceremony.
Location: RDB Atrium
Graduates are invited to wear their graduation regalia, their medals, and their honor cords and enjoy photo opportunities in RDB, courtesy of Grad Images. Graduates will be able to get professional shots at three different backdrops/settings in the Atrium. The university has granted special permission to allow the graduates to have these photos taken without masks and will allow each graduate to bring up to two guests to the photo session; the graduate may also have their photo taken with their guests.
Photo sessions at Grad Walk are strictly by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please visit: http://www.gradimages.com/PortraitScheduling/Search?OccasionRef=165305
May 18, 2021, Commencement Ceremonies
Location: Graham Center
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Commencement Group B
1:00 p.m. – 2:30 Cleaning
2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Commencement Group C
3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Cleaning
5:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. Commencement Group D
6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Cleaning
7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Commencement Group A
Each commencement group was assigned, with a student witness, to a session time at random.
CEREMONY DURATION: Each commencement session will last about 40 - 50 minutes. As soon as each session ends, graduates and guests are asked to leave the ballroom so that it can be sanitized and seats labeled for the next session.
GUESTS: Each graduate can bring two (2) guests only. Children and babies of all ages are counted as one guest even if they do not occupy a seat.
PARKING: Lots 33 and 35 will be reserved for graduates and their guests, with overflow parking in Lot 3. Graduates and guests will need to register their cars before the event; a registration link will be emailed to all graduates the week before the event.
REGISTRATION: Graduates and guests must register with (and get cleared by P3) prior to entering the ballrooms. Further instructions on how graduates and guests get clearance through P3 will be emailed to the graduates the week before the event. On the day of the event, each graduate and registered guest will be checked in by name, will receive a wrist band, and will be escorted to their seats. Graduates can only bring the guests they have already disclosed to the College of Law; if a graduate needs to change their guest(s), they should email Marissa Cabrera at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FACE MASKS: Graduates and guests must wear face masks throughout the ceremony and at all times while inside the Graham Center ballroom and lobby. Graduates and guests must comply with the university’s rules for face mask usage and physical distancing while outside the Graham Center.
REGALIA: All graduates must wear complete regalia, including the doctoral hood. Graduates can purchase regalia at: The Florida International University Landing Page from Herff Jones College Division or may borrow it from a graduate from the past two years. Graduates are asked to please order their regalia by April 18, 2021.
HONOR CORDS/MEDALLIONS: Graduates may wear only the honor cords, medallions, and stoles given to them by the College of Law.
DIPLOMAS: At the commencement ceremonies, graduates will receive an embossed diploma cover and a facsimile diploma. Graduates will receive their actual diplomas about three weeks after the commencement ceremonies; they will be mailed to the graduates’ permanent addresses listed in their student portals.
PHOTOGRAPHY: Each graduate will be photographed by professional photographers on stage and immediately off stage with Roary. There will be additional photo opportunities outdoors before and after the ceremonies.
We will be updating this site as new information becomes available. For other questions please contact Zory Hernandez at email@example.com.
Apply for Graduation
JD Students: Apply for Graduation
Juris Doctor law students are required to submit an electronic application form for the term in which the degree is to be awarded. The form is available at here and must be submitted by the deadline date listed on the Academic Calendar. What You Need to Know About How To Access the Form eForms are electronic forms that are completed and submitted through a web browser. You are advised to use the latest version of Java 7 as this is officially supported by the University and will have the most up-to-date security patches. To install the latest version, go to java.com in your preferred browser and click “Free Java Download.” If you perform a manual installation of the Java plugin (i.e., you pick the version), make sure you download the Java plugin for the correct operating system and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit). For 64-bit machines, it is a good idea to install both the 64 and 32-bit versions as some operating systems contain browsers for both of these. NOTE: you cannot install Java for the Chrome browser on a 64-bit Mac. This is a restriction of the Chrome browser, not our software eForms. Java 8 is not yet officially supported for eForms but still seems to work fine. If you encounter any errors or odd behavior with eForms and you have this version installed, please contact the Law Registrar to report it. Web browser – eForms can be submitted through any of these web browsers: Mac – if you cannot see the check boxes at the end of the form, click command – once or twice Safari
- WARNING: recent Java updates prevent the file attachment feature from working correctly when using Safari
- This is the preferred browser for Mac since it is reliable and has not reported any issues
- Before first-time use, you may need to manually activate the plugin
- Opera (has not been fully tested)
- Before first-time use, you may need to manually activate the plugin
- Safari for Windows (not fully tested) internet Explorer (32- and 64-bit)
Internet Explorer (32- and 64-bit)
- Make sure you match the architecture type of the browser and Java plugin (64-bit Java for the 64-bit version of IE and 32-bit Java for the 32-bit version of IE.
iOS & Android OS Devices Perceptive eForms are NOT currently supported on devices running iOS or Android OS.
LLM Students: Apply for Graduation
Click here to view application details.
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 · 12:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
FIU Law – Rafael Diaz-Balart Hall – Student Lounge
- Pay for and pick up your graduation The J.D. regalia price is $129.99 + tax; The LL.M. regalia price is $89.99 + tax.
Regalia includes: tam, gown, hood and tassel. Hoods will be given to you at Commencement.
- Sit for a FREE studio picture with regalia, courtesy of GradImages.®
- Order graduation rings and announcements from Herff Jones Inc.
- Purchase FIU Law memorabilia and diploma frames.
- Enjoy a photo booth.
- Contribute to the Class of 2018.
- Enjoy refreshments.
- Pay for and pick up your regalia during the Commencement Fair on April 17. Make sure your regalia packet contains the tassel; sometimes they slip out during packaging. Make sure your regalia properly fits you before the day of the event.
- Complete your employment survey by visiting the Career Services Office (RDB 1055) or online through Symplicity (Select the NALP tab).
- Order your graduation tickets online from April 2 – April 30, 2018
- Order graduation announcements through the Herff-Jones website.
- If you rented a locker and plan to study for the bar examination at FIU Law, you may keep it until August 10, 2018. If items are not removed by that date, everything will be disposed of.
- Should you or any guests need special assistance at Commencement please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that upon entering the FIU Arena, persons requesting assistance must identify themselves to an usher so an escort can take them to the reserved seating area.
- For guests who are deaf or hard of hearing, a sign language interpreter will be available during Commencement. If you wish to sit near the interpreter at the ceremony, contact email@example.com.
Commencement Ceremony Procedures
All graduates must report to the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) at 8:30 a.m. Due to the bad-weather forecasts, graduates should NOT report to RDB, as previously directed.
All graduates must enter the Arena in Gate 4, which is located in the northwest side of the Arena. You will go through full security when you enter the Arena.
After entering the Arena, please go upstairs and report to the Candidates’ Robing Room (Room 220).
All graduates park in the Panther Garage.
Things to know/do before the Commencement Ceremony
What to bring:
- Graduates must bring their cap, gown, and tassel to the Commencement Ceremony. You may come dressed in your regalia, or you may put on your robe in the Candidates’ Robing Room. You may want to steam or iron your robe before the Commencement Ceremony, as it will be creased and wrinkled from being in the packaging.
- If you receive Pro Bono medals or honor cords at the Pre-Commencement Awards Ceremony, please bring them with you to Commencement. Other than those FIU-issued honor cords and FIU-issued Pro Bono medals, you cannot wear anything on the outside of your robes. If you will not be at the Pre-Commencement Awards Ceremony to pick up your cords and medals, please see Zoraya Ledesma in the Candidates’ Robing Room on Commencement day; she will provide you with the appropriate cords and medals. If you are receiving a Pro Bono medal or honor cord you should have already received an email from Associate Dean Ortega Fridman; if you expected to receive a Pro Bono medal or honor cord and did not receive an email, please contact Zory Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org
What we will provide you at the Commencement Ceremony:
- J.D. graduates: your doctoral hoods will be provided to you and placed on you on stage at the Commencement Ceremony.
- LL.M. graduates: your master’s hoods will be on your chairs in the Candidates’ Robing Room.
What not to bring to the Commencement Ceremony:
- Do not bring any weapons or valuables, including purses, cameras, and computers. You may bring items that fit in your pockets under your robe. You cannot leave any items in the Candidates’ Robing Room, and you cannot carry anything into the Commencement Ceremony in your hands. If you have supplies—like medicine—that you must carry with you to the Commencement Ceremony, please contact Zory Hernandez at email@example.com so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
- Other than cords and medals provided by FIU Law, you may not wear anything on the outside of your robe; you will be asked to remove any unauthorized items.
Designate a meeting point with your guests
- After the Commencement Ceremony, there will be almost 2,000 people on the Arena plaza and it will be quite difficult to find your guests. Please make sure that you designate a meeting point ahead of time so that you can find your guests after the Commencement Ceremony.
Commencement Ceremony Day Procedures
8:30 a.m. Graduates report to the Candidates’ Robing Room in the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) Room 220.
Light breakfast items and refreshments will be provided in the Candidates’ Robing Room.
The Candidates’ Robing Room will be open only to graduates; all guests must report to the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) main plaza on the east side of the building.
9:00 a.m. Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) doors open for guests. Guests may park in the Panther Garage.
All guests, including children and infants, must present printed paper tickets at the door, or they will be denied admission to the Commencement Ceremony.
Ushers will only accept printed paper tickets; tickets presented on a smart phone, tablet, or computer screen will not be accepted. There will not be any means by which to print the tickets at the Arena.
Guests may purchase additional Commencement Ceremony tickets at the door (subject to availability).
9:30 a.m. Graduates line up for processional.
10:00 a.m. Commencement Ceremony begins.
12:00 p.m. Commencement Ceremony ends.
Graduates’ Departure Procedures
- Immediately following the Ceremony, all graduates and guests will be escorted out of the Ocean Bank Convocation Center (FIU Arena) and onto the Main Plaza.
- FIU Law will provide professional photographers to take photographs of graduates and guests at the Main Plaza (weather permitting) immediately following the Commencement Ceremony. These photographs will be provided in an open-access format free of charge to graduates. You will receive an email when these photographs are uploaded and ready to view.
- Graduates participating in the Commencement Ceremony will receive a ceremonial certificate in lieu of an actual diploma. Approximately three months after the Commencement Ceremony, the Registrar’s Office will mail your diploma to your home address, as provided on Panthersoft. If you indicated on your graduation application that you would like to pick up your diploma, you will receive an email from the Registrar’s Office when it is ready. If you have a financial hold on your account, the Registrar’s Office will release your diploma after you clear the hold.
- The Online Commencement Ceremony ticket portal will open on April 2, 2018.
- All Graduates will receive two (2) complimentary tickets and can purchase up to eleven (11) additional tickets at $7.00 each.
- All guests (including children of any age) must present a paper ticket to enter the FIU Arena. Doors open at 9:00 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please follow these instructions to purchase your tickets
- Log into MyFIU
- On the Student Center panel of your MyFIU dashboard, find Academics and select the drop down menu titled other academic…
- In the drop down menu, click on Commencement Ordering, click on the arrows to the side
- Select your major/degree
- Confirm that you will attend your commencement ceremony
- Continue following the on-screen prompts
- Pay for any additional tickets with a debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover)
- On your registration/order confirmation page click Print to download your electronic guest tickets
- Print your tickets later or reprint a lost/damaged ticket by following the same instructions above and clicking Commencement Print Tickets instead of Commencement Order (tickets will be accessible until the day of the ceremony)
- Email the ticket as a PDF to your guests if you can’t give them their printed ticket in person
Zoraya "Zory" HernandezCoordinator, Student Services
- 11200 SW 8 Street, RDB 1055 Miami, FL 33199
- Contact when you need assistance with: student organizations, special events, graduation.