Business Innovation & Technology Clinic
The Business Innovation & Technology Clinic (BIT) formerly known as the Small Business Clinic, is FIU Law’s transactional clinic offered for four graded credits. The BIT clinic provides basic corporate legal assistance to for-profit small businesses, entrepreneurs, and non-profit organizations that cannot afford to pay market rates for legal services. The purpose of the BIT clinic is to give students hands-on experience handling transactional legal problems while providing assistance to small business owners in the greater Miami area. The BIT cilnic provides an opportunity for these businesses to implement legal protections and business structures available within our legal system and to obtain guidance in complying with a variety of legal requirements.
Among the services the BIT clinic offers are: entity formation, contract review and preparation, review and drafting of commercial real estate documents, preparation of trademark and copyright applications, and preparation of tax exempt applications for 501(c)(3) status. The BIT clinic represents clients only on business transactions and does not work on litigation matters.
The BIT clinic provides FIU Law students with the unique opportunity to acquire skills, training and practical experience in working with business clients. These experiences which include counseling real businesses, entrepreneurs, and nonprofit organizational clients, help students bridge the gap between law school and the practice of law in a transactional legal environment.
- Credits: Four credits
- Time Commitment: Average 14 hours a week (minimum of 196 hours for the semester) which includes case work, supervision and seminar.
- Faculty: John Little, Adjunct Professor
- Prerequisite: 45 credits, Professional Responsibility and Business Organization
- Co-Requisite: Professional Responsibility and Business Organization
- Certification: Not required
John Little, Director
11200 SW 8 Street RDB 1010
Miami, Florida 33199
Zoraya Ledesma, Senior Administrative Assistant
Pay Administrative Fee
- 11200 SW 8 Street, RDB 1010 Miami, FL 33199
- Staff Directory
- Mon-Thur:9 a.m. - 7 p.m. | Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.