West Academic Study Aids
About Available Titles and Series
FIU Law Library provides access to West Academic Study Aids subscription, providing access to popular and recommended legal education support series from Foundation and West Academic presses:
- Nutshell Series
- Short & Happy Guides
- Sum & Substance Audio
- Global Issues
- AND MUCH MORE!
Your West Academic Study Aids library provides easy filtering of titles by subject and series, those written by FIU Law faculty, as well as recommended titles for:
- Academic Success
- 1L Year
- 2L, 3L and Upper Levels
- Career Success
You can customize your West Academic Study Aid Library by clicking "Create an Account" and following the prompts to customize your experience and save titles to your personal library.
Offline Access Instructions
The West Academic Library App allows you to download, read and annotate up to 30 titles without internet connectivity. You can download the West Academic Library App for iOS or Android, or your Desktop, by following these steps:
- Access West Academic Study Aids at https://libguides.law.fiu.edu/westacademicstudyaids
- Navigate to "The West Academic Library App" to Study Anywhere on any device: https://subscription.westacademic.com/read-offline
- Follow the steps to download the app appropriate for your device.
- Sign in using your West Academic My Account information.
How to Create an Account
Follow these steps to Create an Account in West Academic Study Aids:
- Go to https://libguides.law.fiu.edu/westacademicstudyaids
- Select your status at FIU Law from the radio bullet list.
- Fill in the contact form with your @fiu.edu email address as your username. West Academic requires that you use your @fiu.edu email address to Create an Account.
- Follow the prompts and authenticate your username by acknowledging the verification email from West Academic.
Once created, your West Academic account is universal across West Academic platforms.
West Academic Troubleshooting
Off Campus Access Authentication
If you are trying to access West Academic Study Aids off-campus, and are not automatically authenticated, please open a new browser window or tab and click on "Off Campus Access" from the FIU Law Library home page. Login with your @fiu.edu credentials to identify your off campus browser with FIU access authentication.
West Academic Account Troubleshooting
Once created, your West Academic account is universal across West Academic platforms. If you find that you are not being authenticated as an FIU Law user, follow these steps to properly associate your West Academic account:
- Go https://libguides.law.fiu.edu/westacademicstudyaids
- Sign in.
- In the top right, click "Hello [FirstName] [LastName]" and select "My Account" from the drop-down list that appears.
- On the My Account page, in the "My School/Organization" section, enter your @fiu.edu email. If you already provided your email address and you see a message that email verification is pending, click to resend the verification email.
- Check your email and click the link in the email from West Academic. The email link opens a page where you sign in, and access is turned on.
Lexis Digital Libraries
About Available Titles and Series
FIU Law Library provides access to Lexis Digital Libraries, providing access to primary law, as well as popular and recommended legal education and practitioner support series from Lexis Nexis, The Florida Bar and Carolina Academic presses:
- Courtroom Manuals
- Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education
- Multivolume Sets and Treatises
- AND MUCH MORE!
Your Lexis Digital Library provides easy filtering of titles by subject and series, as well as recommended titles for:
- Study Supplements
- Academic Success
Your Lexis Digital Library is tied to your FIU credentials. Your Account enables you to check out and annotate titles. For detailed instructions on accessing and using Lexis Digital Library titles, please review these documents:
- Lexis Digital Library Quick Start Guide
- Lexis Digital Library Getting Started Guide
- Lexis Digital Library Multi Volume Search
- Lexis Digital Library Study Aids Flyer
Downloading and Offline Access Instructions
All Lexis Digital Library access instructions can be found in the Help section on the top right of the Digital Library top navigation menu.
To download ebooks and audiobooks for annotation and offline use follow these step-by-step instructions:
You can download eBooks and audiobooks for offline use in the free OverDrive app. You can also download eBooks using the Kindle Book option (U.S. only) on your LexisNexis digital library.
Note: For the best experience, we recommend reading eBooks with OverDrive Read for added benefits like access to notes and highlights after the eBook expires, the ability to print pages, and more. Learn more about OverDrive Read here.
The OverDrive app
Download the OverDrive app from your device's app store or from app.overdrive.com. The app is available for iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch), Android (including Kindle Fire, Kobo, and NOOK tablets), Chromebook, and Windows 8 and up.
Sign into the app and find your LexisNexis digital library. When you select the library, it will automatically be saved in the app so you can easily return to it.
Note: Make sure to search by name, because your LexisNexis digital library may not appear in the search results if you search by location.
Sign into your LexisNexis digital library, go to your Checkouts page (under your Account), and download the title.
For eBooks: Select the EPUB eBook format from the Download drop-down menu, then select Confirm & Download to add the eBook to the app.
For audiobooks: Select Download (MP3 Audiobook) to add the audiobook to the app.
Return to your app bookshelf. Tap or click a title to start reading or listening.
Kindle Books (U.S. only)
You can download most eBooks to Kindle devices, the Kindle Cloud Reader, or the free Kindle reading app (available for most devices).
Sign into your LexisNexis digital library and go to your Checkouts page (under your Account).
Select the Kindle Book format from the Download drop-down menu. Then, select Confirm & get Kindle Book to be taken to Amazon's website to finish sending the eBook to your device or reading app.
Your Lexis Digital Libraries Account is tied to your FIU credentials. When logging into Lexis Digital Libraries, you must enter your @fiu.edu email and associated password to access Lexis Digital Libraries.
Once logged in, you can manage your Account, checkouts, holds, title lists, history and notes, and settings.
Your History and Notes are your annotations! Your Account enables you to log in from any device and view your titles with your annotations.
Lexis Digital Libraries Training and Troubleshooting
Using Your Digital Library
Lexis Digital Library is powered by OverDrive. eBooks checked out via Digital Library have unique checkout restrictions and policies.
Access the Help content from the top navigation menu to learn more about Library features.
Lexis Digital Library Training
LexisNexis provides a wide variety of assistance for Digital Library, including training guides, FAQ, and other support services.
From the Help screen, you can access Digital Library Training resources.
M-TH 7:30 am - 11:00 pm
FRI 7:30 am - 8:00 pm
SAT 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
SUN Noon - 11:00 pm