The latest additions to Author Profile Pages are now live in beta form:
- Subjects identified with a particular author are now displayed on many author profile pages.
- Explore This Author is a new interactive tool which uses metadata, natural language processing, and machine learning to analyze authors and identify relationships between them. Users can discover an author’s most-discussed topics, the journals in which they most frequently publish, recurring co-authors, and more with this new feature.
*Author profile metrics continue to be fluid with this new tool as new material is added to HeinOnline.
THE “EXPLORE THIS AUTHOR” FEATURE
To use the Explore This Author feature, navigate to an author profile page in HeinOnline and select the new Explore This Author link. Let’s test out the feature by exploring one of the Law Journal Library’s most popular authors, Orin Kerr.
Users will be redirected to an interactive chart of facets, each of which can be used to analyze the author’s work or his relationship to other authors or journals. Facets include:
- Topics: Frequent topics about which this author has written.
- Cited by: Authors who have cited this author.
- Cites to: Authors who have been cited by this author and the specific articles in which they are cited.
- Related Authors: Authors similar to the author in question. Calculated by an algorithm which takes into account all facets, as well as organizations, people, and locations within the texts of the author in question.
- Co-Authors: Authors who have co-written with this author and the articles they authored together.
- Publications: The journals in which the author is most frequently published.
Facets can be expanded and collapsed simply by clicking on them. Select the “Topics” facet to view Orin Kerr’s top ten discussed topics.
Users will notice that each topic is hyperlinked in blue. Clicking on any of the listed topics will automatically perform a query across all subscribed databases looking for works by Orin Kerr related to that topic. For example, click on “Communications Law” to view all available works by Orin Kerr on the topic.
Maybe you know all about Orin Kerr, but you’d like to find authors like him. Select the “Related Authors” facet to view a list of authors like Orin Kerr who write about the same topics, organizations, people, and more. Click on an author’s name to be directed to his or her author profile page.
To access HeinOnline, please click here.