Education & CV
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law
- M.S., The Ohio State University
- B.A., University of Southern California
- Addiction and mental health policy
- Politics and law
Her area of expertise is in addiction and mental health policy, politics and law. Dr. El-Sabawi has studied and written extensively on narrative discourse surrounding opioid overdose deaths; federal administrative regulation of potentially habit-forming substances; and health insurance parity. Recently, Dr. El-Sabawi co-authored a model law that creates non-police behavioral health crisis response teams.
Dr. El-Sabawi is on the advisory circle of the North Carolina Urban Survivors Union, a chapter of the Urban Survivors Union, on the Board of Directors for Next Distro and frequently works alongside persons who use drugs advocating for policy reform.