Education & CV
- LL.M., Georgetown University
- J.D., University of Kentucky College of Law
- B.S., Western Kentucky University
- Capital Markets & Securities
- Commodities Law & Regulation
- Coorporate Finance
In addition to numerous law journal articles, Markham is the author of a three-volume financial history of the United States that was selected as a Choice Outstanding Academic Title in 2002. He also published a book on the Enron era scandals, and has published a two-volume work on the subprime crisis that shook the nation in 2008. Most recently he has published a book on manipulation of stock and commodity prices and is the co-editor of a handbook on securities regulation.
Markham has co-authored five casebooks on corporate law and banking regulation. He also has published a two-volume treatise and a history book on the law of commodity futures regulation, and was the principal coauthor of a two-volume treatise on broker-dealer regulation.
Before his move to academia, Professor Markham served as secretary and counsel, Chicago Board Options Exchange, Inc.; chief counsel, Division of Enforcement, United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission; attorney, United States Securities and Exchange Commission; and a partner with the international firm of Rogers & Wells (now Clifford Chance) in Washington, D.C. In law school, he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Kentucky Law Journal and was named to the Order of the Coif.
- Law Enforcement and The History of Financial Market Manipulation, N.Y. M.E. Sharpe (2014).
- Regulation of Derivative Financial Instruments (Swaps, Options and Futures), West Academic (2014) (with R. Filler).
- Corporate Finance: Debt, Equity, and Derivative Markets and Their Intermediaries, West Group, 2017 (4th ed. with J. Gabilondo& T. Hazen).
- Corporations and Other Business Organizations, Cases and Materials, West Group, 2016 (4thed. with T. Hazen & J. Coyle).
- Regulation of Banking Financial Service Activities, Cases and Materials, Minn., West Group, 2017 (5th ed. with L. Broome).
- Book Chapters and Edited Books
- Commodities: Markets, Performance, and Strategies, Oxford U. Press (2018), Chapter 3.
- Research Handbook on Securities Regulation in the United States, Elgar Press (co-editor and author of chapters 1, 9, 11, 13 and 16) (2014).
- Regulation of Commodity Futures and Exchange Traded Options, Bloomberg/BNA Securities Practice Portfolio Series No. 264 (2015).
- Regulation of Swap and Other Over-The-Counter Derivative Contracts, Bloomberg/BNA Securities Practice Portfolio Series No. 263 (2014).
Law Review Articles and Professional Publications
- Regulating the “Too Big to Jail” Financial Institutions, 83 Brook. L. Rev. 517 (2018).
- Regulating the U.S. Treasury Market, 100 Marq. L. Rev. 188 (2016).
- Regulating the Moneychangers, 18 U. Pa. J. Bus. L. 789 (2016).
- High Speed Trading on Stock and Commodity Markets—From Courier Pigeons to Computers, 52 San Diego L. Rev. 555 (2015).
- The Capital Issues Committee—The First SEC? Financial History Magazine of the Museum of American Finance (Summer 2016).
- Whistleblowers—A Case Study In The Regulatory Cycle For Financial Services, 12 Brook. J. of Corp. Fin. & Comm. L.311 (2018) (with R. Filler).
- Ask the Professors—How Will the Recent Supreme Court Case in SEC v. Kokesh Affect Future SEC and CFTC Enforcement Actions? 37 Fut. & Derv. L. Rep. 1 (2017) (with R. Filler).
- Ask the Professors—Will the Recent Supreme Court Case in SalmanResult in More CFTC Enforcement Actions Charging Insider Trading? 37 Fut. & Derv. L. Rep. 15 (2017) (with R. Filler).
- The Flash Crash Case Against Sarao—Will the CFTC Prevail? 35 Fut. & Derv. L. Rep. 12 (2015) (with R. Filler).