Manuel A. Gomez
Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Global EngagementProfessor of Law
Education & CV
- J.S.D., J.S.M., Stanford University
- J.D. (cum laude), Universidad Católica Andrés Bello (Caracas, Venezuela)
- Civil Litigation
- Comparative Law
- Cuban Legal Studies
- International Law
- International Litigation & Arbitration
- Judicial Reform
- Latin American & Caribbean Law
Professor Gómez’s research has earned important awards such as the Law and Society Association’s Dissertation Prize, the Richard S. Goldsmith Award in Dispute Resolution at Stanford University, and the prize awarded by the Venezuelan Studies Section of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA). At FIU, Professor Gómez received the Inaugural Bhagwan Mahavir Junior Faculty Summer Fellowship in 2011, a CIBER Faculty Research Award in 2013, and was recently nominated to FIU President’s Council Worlds Ahead Faculty Award. Professor Gómez has also been appointed as a Research Fellow at the Universidad Metropolitana Law School, Faculty Fellow at FIU CIBER, and a Fellow at Stanford Law School’s Center for the Legal Profession. Leading academic publishers such as Stanford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Routledge, and Hart Publishing, have disseminated Professor Gomez’s work. Professor Gómez’s articles have appeared in leading academic journals such as the Missouri Dispute Resolution Journal, the Stanford Journal of Complex Litigation, the University of Miami Inter-American Law Review, the ILSA Journal of International and Comparative Law, the Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law, the University of San Francisco Law Review, the FIU Law Review, and the Revista del Instituto Mexicano de Derecho Comparado, among others.
- Prof. Manuel Gómez speaks about the virtualization of justice and its impact on the contemporary notion of access to justice
- Prof. Manuel Gómez publishes a Report on the Right to a Physical Hearing in International Arbitration
- Prof. Gómez will participate at an expert group meeting on “technology-related” dispute resolution from 15 to 16 March 2021 hosted by the UNCITRAL Secretariat and the Government of Israel.
- Professor M. Gómez co-organizes series on the Implications of the DLT/Blockchain technology for the Working Group on Dispute Resolution in International Blockchain-based Transactions of the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center (SVAMC).
- Prof. Manuel A. Gómez joins the Academic Advisory Council of the Fundación de la Inteligencia Artificial Legal (FIAL)
- FIU Law to Host International Arbitration Event with Manuel Gomez as Moderator
- Manuel Gómez and Gilberto Guerrero-Rocca speak about “International Commercial Relations in the Covid-19 Era” at a conference hosted by Costa Rica’s Bar Association
- Professor Manuel Gómez Participating Panel Discussion on Dispute Settlement in the Digital Economy
- Professor Manuel A. Gómez Joins Special Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center (SVAMC) Working Group to Launch Initiative on International Arbitration, Mediation, and Blockchain-based Transactions
- Professor Manuel Gomez Presented Research on the Challenges Faced by Smart Contracts at ICT 2020