The Ovadia CP&P Office aims to guide and assist students in every step of their professional development journey. In keeping with the Office’s partnership model, it is committed to help create and maintain a pipeline of employment opportunities. The Ovadia CP&P Office also commits to provide comprehensive programming to help students develop the tools needed to meaningfully participate in those opportunities.
In law school, the process of planning a career and applying for jobs starts early. Students should take the time to browse the following material, which will help students learn about the services and opportunities that will make finding a job easier. Students may also visit the Ovadia CP&P Office for additional printed materials, such as books and publications from a variety of sources that discuss career planning, job search techniques and particular legal practice areas.
The Ovadia CP&P Office Blog
The Ovadia CP&P Office Blog contains new posts every week of up-to-date employment opportunities, scholarships, writing competitions and networking events. All information posted on the Blog can also be found on Symplicity. With any questions, comments or feedback about the Blog, please contact Jessica Michelle Ciminero.
Career Planning & Exploration
- 12 Months of Diversity & Inclusion Opportunities (ABA Office of Diversity & Inclusion: Resources for Minority Law Students)
- ABA Internship Resources
- ABA Section of International Law – International Law Firm Internships
- Calendar and Timelines
- Careers in Law
- Career Planning Development Plan
- Equal Justice Works (EJW) – “Take Control of Your Future” (Free Student Loan Debt e-Book)
- Guide to Alternative Careers
- Guide to Judicial Internships
- Intellectual Property: Careers in IP/Entertainment Law (select employers with whom FIU Law alumni have found employment)
- Peggy Browning Fund
- The Florida Bar – Master Calendar of Events
- Voluntary Bar Association Networking Events
- Chambers Associate
- Arizona Government Honors & Internships + Public Policy Handbooks: These handbooks provide deadlines for upcoming federal programs as well as state and local government programs. Please contact the Ovadia CP&P Office at email@example.com or 305.348.8376 for the password.
- Intercollegiate Job Bank: A product of a consortium of member law schools around the country who share job postings for post-graduate positions. This job bank is particularly helpful to students who seek positions outside of Florida. A username and password is required to access this job bank – to obtain log-in information, please contact the Ovadia CP&P Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305.348.8376.
- Post Graduate Fellowships
- Public Interest Opportunities: The Ovadia CP&P Office is a member of PSJD, and students and alumni are able to utilize this online resource to find public sector opportunities, including jobs in government and within law schools, around the globe.
“GERRYMANDER STANDARD” WRITING COMPETITION [DEADLINE: MAR. 27, 2016]
Topic: Papers that will identify partisan gerrymanders and distinguish them from districts drawn using neutral redistricting principles while developing legal theories or arguments that could be used by courts to declare partisan gerrymanders unconstitutional. This year, we are asking authors to focus specifically on the First Amendment issue in Shapiro v. McManus and Whitford v. Nichol to demonstrate why the drawing of Maryland’s congressional districts or Wisconsin’s Assembly districts is a partisan gerrymander that should be condemned under the First Amendment.
Complete details: Available at the Ovadia CP&P Office Blog.
Résumés, Cover Letters & Other Correspondence
- Résumé & Cover Letter Workshop
- Résumé Template
- Cover Letter Template
- Résumé – Action Verbs
- Résumé – Checklist
- Résumé – Dos and Don’ts
- Sample Legal Résumés
- Guide to Writing Samples