The Ovadia CP&P Office aims to guide and assist students in every step of their professional development journey. In keeping with the Office’s partnership model, it is committed to help create and maintain a pipeline of employment opportunities. The Ovadia CP&P Office also commits to provide comprehensive programming to help students develop the tools needed to meaningfully participate in those opportunities.
In law school, the process of planning a career and applying for jobs starts early. Students should take the time to browse the following material, which will help students learn about the services and opportunities that will make finding a job easier. Students may also visit the Ovadia CP&P Office for additional printed materials, such as books and publications from a variety of sources that discuss career planning, job search techniques and particular legal practice areas.
The Ovadia CP&P Office Blog
The Ovadia CP&P Office Blog contains weekly posts of upcoming employment opportunities, scholarships, writing competitions and networking events. All information posted on the Blog can also be found on Symplicity.
Career Planning & Exploration
- 12 Months of Diversity & Inclusion Opportunities (ABA Office of Diversity & Inclusion: Resources for Minority Law Students)
- ABA Internship Resources
- ABA Section of International Law – International Law Firm Internships
- Calendar and Timelines
- Career Planning Development Plan
- Careers in Law
- Equal Justice Works (EJW) – “Take Control of Your Future” (Free Student Loan Debt e-Book)
- Guide to Alternative Careers
- Guide to Judicial Internships
- Intellectual Property: Careers in IP-Entertainment-Technology Law (select employers with whom FIU Law alumni have found employment)
- Peggy Browning Fund
- Podcast: ‘I Am the Law‘ – Law School Transparency offers podcasts focusing on different legal jobs
- Podcast: ‘The Gen Why Lawyer‘ – explores unconventional career paths for young attorneys
- The Florida Bar – Master Calendar of Events
- Voluntary Bar Association Networking Events
- ABA Legal Career Central
- Arizona Government Honors & Internships + Public Policy Handbooks: Deadlines for upcoming federal, state and local government programs. Please contact the Ovadia CP&P Office at email@example.com for the password.
- Chambers Associate
- Evolve Law Jobs: Jobs board for those interested in working in the legal technology sphere.
- Intercollegiate Job Bank: A product of a consortium of member law schools around the country who share job postings for post-graduate positions. This job bank is particularly helpful to students who seek positions outside of Florida. A username and password is required to access this job bank (to obtain log-in information, please contact the Ovadia CP&P Office at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Patent Law: Patently-O
- Post Graduate Fellowships
- Public Interest Opportunities: Students and alumni are able to utilize PSJD to find public sector opportunities, including jobs in government and within law schools, around the globe.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Select writing competitions in the fields of IP, Entertainment and Technology Law available here.
JAMES E. BECKLEY SECURITIES ARBITRATION AND LAW WRITING COMPETITION [DEADLINE: SEPT. 16, 2016 BY 5 P.M. EASTERN]
Topic: The submission may address any aspect of securities law; securities arbitration; The Federal Arbitration Act, Title 9, US Code, Section 1-14; or FINRA Code of Arbitration, effective Apr. 16, 2007 and any changes or proposed changes to that Code. The writing can be based in theory or practice, but should ultimately advocate a position on the topic area chosen.
Complete details: Available at CP&P Office Blog
Résumés, Cover Letters & Other Correspondence
- Résumé & Cover Letter Workshop
- Résumé Template
- Cover Letter Template
- Résumé – Action Verbs
- Résumé – Checklist
- Résumé – Dos and Don’ts
- Sample Legal Résumés
- Guide to Writing Samples