Frequently Asked Questions

Sub Menu ↓

Frequently Asked Questions

Before you Register for Classes

To check your enrollment date, follow these steps:

  1. Login to MyFIU and select the Student Center tile.
  2. Select ‘Manage Classes,’ then ‘Enrollment.’
  3. From the dropdown choose ‘Enrollment Dates.’

Get Advised

If you need assistance in selecting your classes, you may set up an appointment to meet with your faculty advisor, the Academic Support program or the Associate Dean of Students.

Clear holds

Holds or Outstanding balances to the university may delay your enrollment.

Register early

Make sure to register for classes by the last day to pay to avoid a late registration fee of $100.

Refer to the Academic Calendar at for dates and deadlines.

Know your financial status

      • Financial Aid recipients should ensure all documents are submitted in a timely manner to avoid any delays in the disbursement of your aid.
      • For students without financial aid, make sure you pay your balance in full by the College of Law’s payment deadline listed on the Academic Calendar, or sign up for the payment plan and follow the University Student Financial’s deadlines to avoid late fees or cancellation of classes.
      • Questions should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office in RDB 1050 or call (305) 348-8006.


Adding/Dropping Classes Tutorial
  1. Log into MyFIUand select the Student Center tile.
  1. Select ‘Manage Classes.’
  2. From the dropdown, choose ‘Add Classes’ to begin class selection or:
    • To drop classes, just choose ‘Drop Classes’ and follow instructions in the panel.
    • To swap classes.
  3. Select ‘Term’ and ‘Location.’ For online classes, select ‘FIU On-line’ in the ‘Location’ dropdown. Then click ‘Continue.’
  4. Search for classes using the course number, course prefix, department or class number. See Courses Available learn how to find course details.
  5. Click on the ‘Select’ button to choose courses to add to the ‘Shopping Cart.’ Adding courses to the Shopping Cart does not officially enroll you into the course(s).
  6. After all desired courses are added to the Shopping Cart, click ‘Proceed to Step 2 of 3’ on the ‘Add’ tab and then click on ‘Finish Enrolling.’
  7. View the confirmation. Successfully added courses will have a green checkmark on the right. If not, read the error message to see why the error occurred. For more information see Holds & Errors.
  8. Use the tabs at the top to drop courses, swap courses, or view your class schedule.


Common Errors

Prior to registering for classes, students should review the holds on their account and follow the instructions detailed on the hold in order to have it removed. There are several holds that can prevent registration. These holds include, but are not limited to, academic advising, Past Due Account, Parking and Traffic, and Immunization.


A prerequisite is a course that must be completed successfully prior to enrolling in a subsequent or higher-level course.  Co-requisites are courses that must be taken during the same semester.

When you have not met the prerequisite(s) for a course, or when you attempt to enroll in a course without first enrolling in the co-requisites, you will encounter an error that will prevent your enrollment.

Department/Instructor Consent
Some courses, including clinics, externships, competitions, and Board of Advocates require the permission of the professor or department before you will be enrolled by the Registrar.

Closed Course
If a course is closed, the capacity has been reached. Each classroom has a maximum occupancy, as determined by the Fire Marshall, and an override will not be honored if the maximum occupancy has been reached. Some classes also have a limited enrollment such as seminars, LSV III and Trial Advocacy. Contact the Registrar if you wish to be placed on a wait list for any course.

Class Number
A Reference Number or Class Number is a 5 digit number that identifies each course. It is unique to each single section of the course offering and changes every semester. Students can enroll using the class number alone or can search using the course subject (LAW) and the course catalog number.

Registration Limits
Students are not allowed to exceed the semester credit hour limit unless approved to do so. Students in either division (day and part-time) are allowed a one-time course overload which cannot exceed 18 credits. Students may also a request a one-time course underload, which is under 12 credits for full time students and under 6 credits for part time students. Full time law students can enroll for up to a maximum of 16 credits in fall and spring while part-time students may enroll for up to 11 credits in fall and spring. Summer is limited to a maximum of 6 credits.

Class Schedules

Current students can view the upcoming semester course schedule online when it becomes available by logging into their MyFIU portal, visiting the website at or you can view a semester course schedule at in MyFIU select “Class Schedule” under the Panther Links box without having to log into MyFIU.

Open Registration

Open registration is held immediately following the enrollment appointment period and continues during the first week of classes. Visiting students may register during this time frame.

Add/Drop Period

During the initial Add/Drop/Swap period (review the Academic Calendar for these dates), students may freely add, drop or swap courses without incurring either financial liability or having them appear on the permanent academic record. If a student decides to drop a course and has already paid for it, the Student Financial’s Office will be responsible for generating a refund or for using the credit to pay other balances owed. The dropped course will not show on the student’s transcript provided the course was dropped within the Add/Drop period.

After the official Add/Drop period ends, any course you wish to withdraw from will remain on the transcript and you will be financially liable for it. If you wish to withdraw from a course due to exceptional circumstances after Add/Drop you must complete a Student Petition form with a full explanation. This will be considered by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Should it be approved, a WI fee liable grade will be processed and placed on your transcript. This grade carries no grade point average, but it will remain on your permanent record.


Submit eForms

Certain forms can be filled out and submitted entirely in MyFIU.

  1. Login to MyFIU. See Access MyFIU for help.
  2. Select the ‘Student Tools’ tile, then ‘Student E-Forms.’
  3. Then choose the form you need and follow the form instructions.

Forms you may submit electronically are listed below:


Enrollment Verification

Enrollment Verifications will not be processed until after the Add/Drop period. The University sends enrollment data multiple times during a semester to the National Student Clearinghouse. This data is accessed directly by most lenders. If you need an immediate loan deferral letter or require proof of enrollment for other purposes, send your request to the Registrar’s Office via email to or and allow twenty-four hours for processing.

NOTE: You will need to check your student account for any Financial Holds. We are unable to process an enrollment verification if any financial holds are present on your account.


View Unofficial Transcript

Current Students:

  1. Log into MyFIU. See Access MyFIU for help.
  2. Select ‘Academic Records,’ then ‘Transcripts.’
  3. Choose ‘View Unofficial Transcript’ from the dropdown.
  4. Choose the ‘Report Type’ for the transcript and follow on-screen instructions.


Requesting an Official Transcript

FIU has contracted with Credentials Inc. to provide transcript order, printing, and delivery service.

Information on how to request an official transcript is available at


Assessment of Instructors

Students may review faculty evaluations from 2013/2014 to the present at Prior years are available at .