The Legal Externship Program provides an opportunity for students to work with a legal employer in the corporate, governmental, public or private sector. Through the students’ exposure to the real work environment of law practice, students will demonstrate knowledge and understanding of substantive and procedural law, demonstrate the knowledge and skills for competent and ethical participation with different legal contexts, and exercise proper professional and ethical responsibilities toward clients and the legal system as such. The learning outcomes and performance measures will be demonstrated as follows:
Outcome Measure: Students will be able to demonstrate substantial knowledge and understanding of legal rules and doctrine by
- Articulating legal rules in core substantive areas,
- Stating the elements and component parts of rules, the policies and social context that give rise to legal rules, and the trends in these subject areas.
- Explain the role of case law and precedent in our legal system.
- Explain the role and process of statutory and regulatory law.
- Explain the rules of discovery in civil, criminal, and administrative proceedings.
- Explain the objectives and processes of structuring civil transactions.
- Describe the theoretical frameworks for lawyering skills including interviewing, counseling, negotiation, advocacy and mediation.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of various processes for resolving problems.
Outcome Measure: Students will be able to employ legal skills as measured by the following:
- Use of legal doctrine to solve problems.
- Applying statutory and regulatory law to solve client issues.
- Conducting interviews in a structured and thoughtful manner.
- Counselling clients objectively, respectfully, and effectively.
- Conducting effective legal research, including:
- Creating an efficient and comprehensive research plan and implementing it.
- Drafting professional documents for litigation.
- Drafting professional documents for transactions.
- Communicating effectively, including:
- Using other communication skills, including:
- Conducting effective negotiations, including:
- Advocating for clients within legal settings and/or educating an audience.
- Collaborating and working effectively with colleagues, peers, supervisors, and staff.
Outcome Measure: Students will be able to exercise professional responsibility and illustrate the values inherent to an ethical legal practice through the following measures:
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct themselves with honesty, integrity, fairness, respect, empathy, civility, and cultural competence.
- Behave ethically in accordance with the Rules of Professional Responsibility (and relevant state and local rules of practice).
- Demonstrate self-awareness and a capacity for reflection, including:
- Maintain a commitment to pro bono and public service.
a. Learning from mistakes.
b. Articulating personal preferences and biases, and actively working to counteract them.
c. Demonstrating concern for the experiences of others.