Students attending a law school accredited by the American Bar Association may apply for transfer to the FIU College of Law. Applicants must have completed at least one full-time semester or two part-time semesters, be in good standing at their current institution, and have a class rank (if applicable) in the upper one-third of their first-year class. Please contact our admissions office with any questions at (305) 348-8006.
Transfer applicants must submit the following documentation:
- An online application submitted through the Law School Admission Council
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee of $20.00 (U.S.)
- A letter of good standing from the Dean or Registrar of the current law school, including class rank (if applicable)
- An official law school transcript
- A copy of the Credential Assembly Service or LSAT Law School Report on file at the current law school
- Two letters of recommendation; at least one must be submitted by a current law school faculty member
- A personal statement articulating reasons for wanting to transfer to FIU Law. Please limit the statement to one typed page, double-spaced, and in 12-point font. If you have a violation of law and/or a misconduct violation you must submit a written explanation that includes a description as well as the final disposition of the incident, in addition to copies of the official documents pertaining to the incident(s).
*All documents must be received by July 31, 2014. Any documents which cannot be submitted electronically must be sent to:Florida International University College of Law, Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, RDB 1055 Miami, Florida 33199
Transfer of Credits
The Dean for Academic Affairs determines which credits are transferable. No credit will be given for coursework in which the student received a grade lower than a “C” or its equivalent. Transfer credit will not be awarded for correspondence courses or for work not done in residence at an ABA-accredited law school. Transfer credits are recorded as TR grades which have no impact on the FIU grade point average; therefore transfer students begin with a new GPA at FIU Law.
To obtain a degree from FIU Law, a minimum of 59 credit hours of approved credits must be completed at FIU. A minimum of 47 credits taken at FIU Law must be graded, while a maximum of 12 credit hours can be taken in Pass/Fail courses. Ninety credits are required to graduate; therefore a maximum of 31 credit hours may be transferred from your prior law school. Transfer students must take, or have taken, all required foundation courses and meet all the graduation requirements of FIU Law.
For additional information or to submit documents by mail please contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid at:Florida International University College of Law, Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, RDB 1055 Miami, Florida 33199 Phone: (305) 348-8006 Fax: (305) 348-2965 law.fiu.edu email@example.com