Welcome! For most of you law school is more than an academic pursuit, and you might be thinking about what you will be doing after graduation. That’s good – because that’s exactly what I’m doing. Together with the Abraham S. Ovadia Career Planning and Placement Office (CP&P) staff, I am working on ways to help you find a fulfilling legal job. We are committed to effectively marketing the Florida International University College of Law to the legal community, increasing our outreach efforts to new and existing employers, and to providing the sort of programming that will help you find a job.
I believe that career planning should begin on the first day of law school and continue throughout your time here. Crafting a successful career plan and obtaining meaningful employment will require a great deal of effort on your part, but the CP&P is here to provide the resources and assistance to help you succeed.
Our mission includes:
- Marketing FIU Law, its students and its alumni to employers. We engage the legal community to make sure that FIU Law and its students are front and center in the minds of prospective employers. We come to them and we bring them here to see the excellent caliber of our students and the excellent training and education you are receiving at FIU Law. We actively solicit job opportunities from new employers and additional opportunities from employers who are already working with us. We also screen and post pertinent employment opportunities. Our efforts have substantially increased the number of active jobs listings on Symplicity. We are pleased that many students and alumni have found part-time and permanent employment through these postings.
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with employers. Our efforts to increase the number of private and public sector employers recruiting FIU Law students have been successful. This fall we are proud to welcome more employers to campus than in past years. Moreover, during the academic year you will see many employers participating in programs hosted by our office. This will provide you with additional opportunities to make meaningful contacts that will serve you during your time at FIU Law and in your professional life.
- Creating an environment that will help you become better prepared for the job search. We provide individualized counseling to students and alumni regarding career planning, goals, options and opportunities as well as job search strategies. The updated Professional Development Handbook contains a wealth of information and useful links that are designed to introduce you to CP&P and its services. Throughout the academic year, we will host a variety of programs that are designed to introduce you to the diverse professional opportunities available to you.
- Staying current on the state of the legal market and employment trends. We stay up to date on the latest trends in the legal profession and their effect on the legal employment market here in Florida and around the country. We are members of the most important professional placement organizations including NALP (the National Association for Legal Professionals) and SFALP (the South Florida Association for Legal Professionals). Members of the CP&P staff regularly attend national and local meetings and conferences to keep abreast of new developments in legal recruiting and find new opportunities for you.
- Enhancing student’s exposure to and knowledge of various practice areas. The faculty members who serve as advisers to the CP&P Office are experienced lawyers who advise students on the practical realities of working in a particular area of law. The faculty advisers are available to assist students who are interested in pursuing opportunities in their particular area of expertise, be it a summer internship, or a post-graduation career. The addition of faculty advisers allows students access to both individuals and networks that complement the services of the CP&P advisers and staff.
We need to hear from you too. Please drop in, call or email us with your questions, suggestions or comments. Your input is essential to our success in helping you. I am looking forward to meeting with each of you in the near future to begin your journey of professional development. On behalf of the advisers and staff at the CP&P, welcome!
Assistant Dean of Career Planning and Placement