The Criminal Externship Placement enables students to gain a better understanding of the major issues involved with criminal law practice and the criminal justice system. In addition to legal research and writing tasks, a certified legal intern (CLI) can participate in various criminal court proceedings under attorney supervision.
Certified externs develop their legal skills by representing defendants or the state in actual criminal cases. Non-certified criminal placements provide an opportunity to conduct complex legal research and analysis in criminal governmental agencies
- This course is open to all students in their second or third year of study who have completed at least 48 credit hours.
- All state placements require certification (unless waived by the placement).
- Students must present a letter of clearance from the Board of Bar Examiners with their application.
- Professional Responsibility is a pre or co-requisite.
- Priority will be given to students who have a demonstrated interest in criminal law practice and have taken courses that will enrich the externship experience (i.e. Criminal Procedure, Evidence, or trial skills courses).
FIU CRIMINAL EXTERNSHIP PLACEMENTS
- Office of the Attorney General, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Tampa FL
- United States Attorney Office, Miami, FL, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, West Palm Beach, FL
- State Attorney’s Office
- FOURTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Jacksonville, Florida
- SIXTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Clearwater, Florida
- NINTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Orlando, Florida
- ELEVENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Miami, Florida
- THIRTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Tampa, Florida
- FIFTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, West Palm Beach, Florida
- SIXTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Key West, Florida
- SEVENTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- TWENTIETH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Fort Myers, FL
- NEW JERSEY OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC DEFENDER, Freehold, NJ
- ELEVENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Miami, FL
- FIFTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, West Palm Beach, FL
- SIXTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Key West, FL
- SEVENTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, Ft. Lauderdale, FL